Press Release – Auckland Council
Auckland Council will this week consider its budget for the 2013/14 year. Council’s Strategy and Finance Committee will meet on Thursday to make decisions on proposals consulted on earlier this year as part of its draft Annual Plan.
The plan includes a capital programme of close to $1.7 billion across the council group, including council-controlled organisations (CCOs).
The capital programme includes:
· $729 million for service level improvements including upgrades to local parks, arts and recreational facilities, upgrades to transport, water and stormwater infrastructure
· $524 million to maintain our assets within the proposed capital programme
· $424 million to expand the city’s infrastructure to support our growing population.
In addition, the organisation is investing more than $3.2 billion a year on business operations. For the coming year this includes:
· increased funding for volcanic cones, regional community events and groups
· an additional $8 million of capacity within our operating budget to support a number of worthwhile investment proposals.
The organisation is also building strong communities with investment in local libraries, parks, recreation, arts and cultural facilities planned for the next year.
The draft plan also includes proposals to reduce costs to ratepayers. Council plans to deliver more than $64 million of new ongoing operating savings for 2012/2013 and 2013/2014, in addition to the $81 million of efficiency savings delivered since the first year of the new council.
Other proposals include increasing the proportion of costs recovered through user pays charges for some services.
The Mayor will present his final budget proposal to councillors for their consideration at the meeting. The final annual plan needs to be adopted and rates set in June.
New fees and charges will come in to effect from 1 July.