- auckland.scoop.co.nz - http://auckland.scoop.co.nz -
Have your say on council’s draft annual plan – with 2.9% rates increase
Posted By admin On January 23, 2013 @ 12:49 pm In Auckland economy,Politics,PressRelease,Supercity | No Comments
Press Release – Auckland Council
How Auckland Council plans to continues to create the world’s most liveable city in an affordable way is outlined in its draft annual plan. Now the council wants to know what Aucklanders think.
Submissions open this week on the draft Annual Plan 2013/2014, the annual budget detailing on what the council plans to do over the next 12 months, as well as areas we are looking to make further efficiencies and savings.
Feedback is also sought on the local priorities and projects raised by the local boards.
For next year, the council is proposing average rates increase of 2.9 per cent, lower than the forecast 4.8 per cent in its Long-term Plan 2012-2022.
This has been achieved by proposing minor service reductions, increasing the proportion of costs recovered from service users for some fees and reducing corporate costs.
The draft annual plan aims to maintain the momentum established through the Auckland Plan and Long-term Plan.
Among the key proposals are:
• increasing the proportion of costs recovered from dog, food premise inspection fees, so as to reduce the amount of rates used to cover these
• standardising mooring and hairdressing fees
• introducing a first inspection fee for swimming pool fence inspections and reducing subsequent inspection fees
• increasing regional park bach and campground fees and
• no longer mowing berms in the former Auckland City Council area to bring it in line with all other parts of Auckland – saving ratepayers $3 million a year
• ending free digital music download services (Freegal) at libraries – saving of $200,000 a year
• contributing to the funding for stage two development of the TelstraClear Pacific Events Centre through the proceeds of the sale of adjacent land.
Submissions on Auckland Council’s draft Annual Plan open 24 January and close Monday, 25 February 2013.
Local boards will also be holding community engagement meetings throughout the consultation period.
For more information, including documents, to make a submission or details on local board events go to www.aucklancouncil.govt.nz/annualplan 
Article printed from auckland.scoop.co.nz: http://auckland.scoop.co.nz
URL to article: http://auckland.scoop.co.nz/2013/01/have-your-say-on-councils-draft-annual-plan/
URLs in this post:
 www.aucklancouncil.govt.nz/annualplan: http://www.aucklancouncil.govt.nz/annualplan
 scoop.co.nz: http://www.scoop.co.nz/
 Original url: http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/AK201301/S00445.htm
Copyright © 2011 auckland.scoop.co.nz. All rights reserved.