Fire on Mt Eden – grass destroyed by fireworks

News from Auckland Council


A fire on Maungawhau Mt Eden early this morning has destroyed approximately 200sq metres of grass and is believed to have been started by fireworks.

Acting Manager of Parks, Sports and Recreation, Mace Ward, says the fire was an avoidable and disappointing incident and is a reminder of the need for increased care during the dry summer season.

“Summertime presents us with dry conditions and increased fire risk, therefore we ask our visitors to take extra care on our parks and volcanic cones.

“Fireworks and open fires are prohibited at all times for public safety and to avoid damage like this to our open spaces,” he says.

If the public encounters fires on parks, or people using fireworks, they can contact the Auckland Council on 09 301 0101 and, in an emergency, please phone 111. Fires are generally allowed in barbeques provided for the purpose, however at this time of year fire bans are in place.

The Maungawhau Mt Eden fire occurred in the grass on the eastern side of the crater. The fire service was alerted and council’s security provider unlocked gates for access, according to the site’s fire plan. As with all incidents of an emergency nature, council will follow this up with a review of the risk on the site and the effectiveness of the emergency response.

 

No comments yet.

Write a comment: