Traffic queues for 9km after truck crashes at entrance to Victoria Park Tunnel

News from NZ Transport Agency
The northbound lanes of State Highway 1 were reopened at about 3.15 after being closed since a truck crash just before 1pm near the entrance to Auckland’s Victoria Park tunnel.

The NZTA re-opened the motorway after a safety inspection of the motorway and the removal of the crashed truck and its container. The nearby Wellington Street on-ramp was also re-opened.

It took some time for motorway congestion to clear and the motorway northbound wasn’t fully operational until the end of this afternoon’s peak. Traffic queues extended about 9 kilometres back to the Panmure-Ellerslie interchange.

Earlier Press Release – NZTA
A truck rolled on State Highway 1 early this afternoon, near the entrance to Auckland’s Victoria Park tunnel, blocking all three northbound lanes of the motorway. The crash happened just before 1pm. It took more than two hours to remove the truck and re-open the motorway. The crash caused widespread congestion. The motorway north was closed from the Nelson Street off-ramp.

The NZTA advised northbound drivers to leave SH1 as soon as it was safe for them to do so and use alternative routes.

UPDATE at 2.15pm
Recovery vehicles are now on site to help remove the container truck that crashed near the entrance to Auckland’s Victoria Park Tunnel. The lunchtime crash blocked all three northbound lanes of the motorway and the NZTA says (just after 2.15pm) that it may be another three or four hours before it is fully re-opened.

The crash caused widespread congestion and the queue of northbound traffic on SH1 extended about 9ks to the Panmure-Ellerslie interchange. Traffic was also heavy in the central city area.

To help ease congestion, the NZTA brought forward the afternoon peak lane barrier move on the Auckland Harbour Bridge to provide more northbound lanes.

Southbound traffic on the Southern Motorway (SH1) was not affected.

News from NZ Police at 2pm
At about 12.51 p.m. a truck and trailer crashed into the rear of a stationary vehicle on the SH1 Northern motorway just before the Victoria Park tunnel before rolling. The drivers have been taken to hospital with moderate injuries.

The north bound lane is blocked and traffic has been diverted off the motorway prior to the crash site. A single lane will be opened shortly north bound allowing traffic through.

Traffic is able to enter the motorway also from Fanshaw and Curran Street for traffic wishing to head north. Police are asking the public to travel with caution through this area and to remain patient as the crash site is cleared.