Press Release – Automobile Association
A new survey commissioned by AA Tourism confirms that Kiwis’ 2013 domestic holiday plans are more action packed than ever. ANd it names Auckland and Wellington as two of the top five destinations where New Zealanders want to take holidays in the next six months.
The Mood of the Traveller Survey questioned 1,000 New Zealanders on everything from preferred accommodation types to favoured holiday hot spots. Respondents cited exercising more, improving their health, losing weight and reducing stress as some of their top 10 things to do for 2013 – a trend also reflected in AA Tourism’s recent 101 Must Do’s survey rankings.
GM Marketing AA Tourism, Rebecca Cherry, says the latest Mood of the Traveller findings come as no surprise. “The rationale behind the Mood of the Traveller survey was to explore New Zealand travellers’ psyche and how that relates to their travel decisions. Physical activity is increasingly becoming an integral part of Kiwi’s holiday choices, especially for families looking to add an element of adventure into their getaways.
“You only need to look at the rising popularity of activities like the Otago Rail Trail, the Tongariro Crossing and walking tracks like the walk to Cathedral Cove or the Abel Tasman Coast Track to see evidence of this trend.”
The 101 Must Dos also mirrored the Mood of the Traveller survey in respect to Kiwi’s increased demand for more relaxing, stress free getaways, with Hanmer Springs Thermal Pools and Spa and Rotorua’s Polynesian Spa voted number one and two respectively.
“In addition to making the most of the natural resources, destinations like Hanmer Springs and Rotorua are perfect for a stress free holiday and after the recent tough economic times, these retreats could be just what the doctor ordered,” says Ms Cherry.
The survey also revealed that 69 percent of Kiwis aspired to travelling more domestically in the next six months than what they’re currently planning to. Other findings in the Mood of the Traveller Survey include:
• Top 10 things New Zealanders are planning to do in 2013: reduce debt (53%), exercise more (53%), increase savings (52%), improve health (49%), lose weight (44%), reduce stress (40%), have more NZ holidays (36%), have more overseas holidays (30%), get a new job (22%), have children (9%)
• 48 % of New Zealanders are intending to go away this Christmas and New Year period
• 21 % of New Zealanders are expecting to spend more on their domestic holidays this year compared with last year
• Top five destinations Kiwis plan to holiday at over the next six months are: Wellington, Auckland, Christchurch, Queenstown and Nelson.
• 61% find and book accommodation using an online accommodation booking website
For the full survey results of the latest AA Mood of the traveller survey, visit www.tianz.org.nz/main/mood-of-the-traveller