News from NZ Police
The three-month old infant and her 36 year-old mother who died after falling from a high-rise apartment block in Auckland yesterday evening were Mexican and had arrived in New Zealand last month.
The woman’s husband and the baby’s father is now in Auckland having travelled by plane from elsewhere in New Zealand this morning. He is being supported by Auckland-based Mexican Consulate staff. The family had come to New Zealand on business.
Post-mortem examinations are still in progress and formal identifications are not expected to be completed today.
At this stage of the investigation it appears no one else was involved in the double tragedy that occurred shortly after 5.20pm yesterday.
News from NZ Police – October 3
A woman and an infant fell to their deaths this afternoon from the Auckland Harbour Oaks Hotel and Apartments on Gore St near the city centre.
Police have secured the scene in the swimming pool area of the complex while inquiries are carried out.
The bodies of the two deceased will remain in situ until Police complete a scene examination.
Release from St John
* St John was alerted to this incident at 17.29pm, and we sent an advanced life support ambulance crew and team manager to the scene,
* The incident involved a female and young child who have fallen from a significant height.
* Unfortunately both people were deceased
* We did not transport anyone from the scene
* We are providing support for our staff due to the traumatic nature of the incident.