BusinessDesk report by Paul McBeth
New Zealand residential building consents rose to their highest monthly level in two years in March amid growing demand for new housing in Auckland and Christchurch.
Building consents rose by a third to 1,394 worth $415 million in March, excluding volatile apartment figures, Statistics New Zealand said.
That’s the highest monthly number of new consents issued since March 2010. Including apartments, the number of issuance rose 43 percent to 1,559 worth $430 million, the highest total since September 2008.
Auckland had the biggest increase in new dwellings at 511 in March, compared to 298 a year earlier, while Canterbury issuance rose to 281 from 166 in 2011.
“The robust increase in dwelling consent issuance in March is fairly encouraging, and points to a recovery in residential building activity over the coming year,” ASB economist Christina Leung said in a note. “The improvement in residential building activity in Auckland and Canterbury should help to alleviate the housing supply constraints which have emerged in these regions.”
A tight housing supply in Auckland and stalled reconstruction in post-earthquake Canterbury have bumped up property prices as growing demand struggles to find a fresh supply of available listings.
That’s kept a lid on building activity, which hit a decade-low in the September quarter last year.
The level of new issuance is still tepid compared to the tail-end of the property boom, with annual approvals at 14,596 in the 12 months ended March 31, from 24,533 in the same period in 2008.
The value of non-residential building consents fell 13 percent to $299 million in March from the same month a year earlier. On an annual basis, commercial issuance fell 0.1 percent to $3.71 billion.
ASB’s Leung said non-residential consents remained weak in March, though “the recovery in commercial construction intentions in recent business surveys suggests an improvement in non-residential construction activity later in the year.”
Press Release – Statistics New Zealand
Consents were issued for 1,559 new houses in March 2012, the highest monthly total since September 2008, Statistics New Zealand said today. This is an increase of 43 percent from March 2011.
“This is the highest number of new houses consented in a month for almost four years, and is a big increase from March last year,” industry and labour statistics manager Blair Cardno said. “Most of this increase was concentrated in the Auckland and Canterbury regions.”
Auckland had the largest regional increase in new houses (up 213), including 104 new apartments, in March 2012. No apartments were consented in the Auckland region in March 2011. This is the highest number of new houses consented in the Auckland region since April 2008.
The number of new houses consented also increased significantly in the Canterbury region. The majority of consents were for houses located outside Christchurch city in the surrounding districts. This increase partly reflects the low number of dwellings consented in March last year, likely due to the major earthquake on 22 February 2011. There were small increases in most other regions, with only Gisborne, the West Coast, and Hawke’s Bay recording small decreases.
After removing seasonal fluctuations, there were large increases in the number of new houses, both including and excluding apartments, in March 2012. The trends for the number of new houses, both including and excluding apartments, have both been rising over the last year.
The value of residential building consents also rose significantly in March 2012, up 30 percent from March 2011. This is also the highest monthly figure since September 2008.
In Canterbury, earthquake-related building consents totalled $28 million in March 2012. Of this, $19 million was for non-residential work and $9 million was for residential work, including 16 new houses.
Data for building consents is obtained from all territorial authorities.