Press Release – Auckland Transport
Extra trains and special event buses will again be operating for fans heading to Saturday’s Scotland v England Rugby World Cup match at Eden Park.
Similar plans to last weekend’s Eden Park double-header will be in place tomorrow, including 100 extra special event buses running from Britomart and 100 additional train services to and from Eden Park. On Sunday extra trains and special event buses will be available for people heading to Mt Smart Stadium to watch the Warriors in the NRL Grand Final. A fare will apply for these services.
From 4.30pm tomorrow fans heading to Scotland v England can jump on one of the 100 extra special event buses from outside Britomart. Trains and special event buses are free with a match ticket from 5.30pm. Kick-off is at 8.30pm and gates open at 6pm.
Train operator Veolia Transport also has strengthened contingency arrangements in place, including standby trains and buses. Passenger volumes will be monitored throughout the day at stations.
As a safety precaution the speed limit on New North Rd through Kingsland Village will be 30km/h for three hours before kick-off, part of New North Rd will then be closed from kick-off until two hours after the match.
People should expect the transport system to be busy as people travel to the match and to the Queen’s Wharf Fanzone.
For those going to the match the most important thing to do is travel early to beat the crowds.
Traffic will be busy in the area around the stadium, some roads will be closed and areas close to the stadium are restricted to parking for residents only. People not going to the match should be aware there is potential for delays in the area and there are changes to some train services, particularly on the Western Line.
Transport to Eden Park:
* Parking restrictions and road closures will be in place around Eden Park and public parking will be outside the residential parking zones. If you are dropping people off at the event, the main drop off point is on Dominion Rd. Parking on streets outside the residential parking zones will involve a short walk to the stadium.People planning to drive are advised to carpool.
* A limited number of accessible parking spaces will be provided in Bellwood Road (between Cromwell Street and Dominion Road), an orange mobility sticker is required for access. A shuttle service will operate between this point and the venue.
Walking: Following the Fan Trail from Auckland’s waterfront is a great way to get to the match, more information at www.auckland2011.com
* Taxi drop off points are on Bond St and Dominion Rd pre match and after the match taxi ranks are on Dominion Rd and New North Rd
* A mobility taxi rank is located in Bellwood Avenue near Cromwell Street for mobility drop off / pick up. A shuttle operates to and from the stadium. People being picked up need to make sure the vehicle is in place before the end of the match to avoid the road closures.
Special event services:
Travel is free with a match ticket on trains and special event buses from 530pm. The special event buses from Britomart are free from 4.30pm. After the match, travel is free on special event buses until one hour after the match (or until the crowd has cleared) and until the end of service on trains.
* To Eden Park from Britomart and the Civic Theatre on Queen St every 5 minutes , Albany every 10 minutes via all Northern Busway Stations, Takapuna from Hurstmere Rd every 15 minutes, Newmarket and Mt Eden every 10 minutes and from Manukau city centre/Botany Town Centre/Pakuranga Plaza every 30 minutes.
* Free shuttle bus from Whangaparaoa Plaza via Silverdale to Albany Bus Station (5 & 5.30pm).
* Approximately every 5-7 minutes between Britomart and Kingsland (between 5.37pm – 7.44pm and after the match), stopping only at Grafton Station on the way
* Three additional direct services from Papakura to the match, calling all stations to Newmarket, then Grafton and direct to Kingsland
* Trains from the west run to Morningside approx. every 15 minutes in the lead up to matches and every 10 to 15 minutes after matches.
* From 4pm there will be changes to entrances at Britomart please follow the directions of Auckland Transport Ambassadors.